Sunday, January 10, 2010

Home Base

I have flown halfway across the world and now find myself in Christchurch, New Zealand. The past couple of weeks have been fantastic. It was wonderful seeing my friends and family throughout the holiday season and I'll admit that it felt pretty good to be back in the states again. There were lots of fun nights out, numerous relaxing days on the couch, far too much food and a little too much bundling to go outside in the deep freeze of winter. Thank you everyone for a great welcome home, I'll see you when it gets warmer over there again. I have made it to my new home base in New Zealand and I'll stick it out here for the summer.

Before my trip even began, I was awarded a pleasant surprise. I got to the airport in San Francisco dreading my flight to LA and four hour layover at LAX before the thirteen hour flight to Auckland. As I was standing in the check-in line, I got a phone call from the airline with news that my flight from LA to NZ would be delayed, which would cause me to miss my connection in Auckland and push up the number of travel hours I was heading into. I love that the weather in London somehow managed to muck up my travel plans from California to the South Pacific. The world truly is a small place. Air New Zealand, being the incredible company that they are, decided to put me on the next direct flight to Auckland from San Francisco, cutting my travel time by ten or so hours. The only drawback was having to sit in SFO for little extra time, something I was willing to deal with to take this new, abbreviated route.

The flight over was brilliant. Thirteen hours in the air really wasn't as bad as I thought. I'm pretty sure the many twelve plus hour bus rides I've taken in South America was the best prep imaginable. Little TVs behind the seats, good food, fantastic service...and the plane wasn't refrigerated like those silly Colombian buses. It was no time before I arrived in Auckland. I felt bright-eyed and bushy-tailed while watching the gloriousness of New Zealand below me as I flew to the south island. From the plane, I could see the green, rolling hills, the deep blue of the Pacific and the snow capped peaks of the Southern Alps in the distance. Lots of farmland, very few roads, this is what I have to look forward to in the next two months...how exciting!!!

DSC03011

I arrived in Christchurch and cleared customs without a hitch. They had to disinfect my shoes and tent, but I was prepared for it, so it was really no big deal. I stepped out into the waiting area to find a face that I haven't seen in ages welcoming me to her world. Amanda and I were like we never left each other and her boyfriend, Neil, is awesome. It was crazy to have a ride from the airport, especially one that drives on the wrong side of the road. It's a treat to have a home base that feels so comfortable, this trip down here will definitely be different.

Christchurch is a cute little city. Everything is very quaint and feels clean. We are in the plains of Canterbury and just a few minutes drive from the Pacific. Amanda's house is warm and cozy and a short walk from the city center. I have my own room, I'm living the high life now! As we've been out and about, I keep seeing backpackers roaming the street and I have to pinch myself to remember I'm one of them. As a matter of fact, I have to remind myself often that I am in New Zealand. With a place to stay, a car to drive me around and the ease of being able to speak English, I forget that I am on a tiny island in the middle of an ocean. Everything seems very familiar here, I could get used to this.

DSC03019

Amanda and I fell back into the swing of things immediately. We took a walking tour of the city in the morning and were on our game for lunch in a pub at noon. After a few pints, we met up with Neil and decided that shopping was a good idea. I blew my daily budget within the first six hours, but I have a cute new dress to show for it. We went out for their friend's going away party and showed Christchurch what it was in for. The nightlife here is pretty great, but much more expensive then I'm used to...I need to be careful over here!

DSC03024

I've somehow managed to avoid jetlag, so yesterday was spent taking care of business. I've gotten my cell phone set up, bought a ticket to Auckland for next week, and successfully destroyed my room with my ever-exploding backpack. It's light out here until 9pm, so we took a late afternoon drive into the countryside on a cold and rainy day. Yes, it's cold, like jacket and jeans cold, I really can't believe that this is considered summer, but apparently this is the worst it's been in months, go figure. Either way, we drove up to a viewpoint over Christchurch in time to see the most vibrant, full rainbow I've ever seen, making the rain and wind worth it all in the end. We winded down through the hills to Governors Bay and drove along the water to where it reaches the Pacific. The water is this incredible blue color due to glacial deposits, or something of that nature. It's really spectacular and I'm looking forward to seeing it on a bit nicer afternoon. We ate some of New Zealand's best fish and chips for dinner and then came home for movie night. Without the noise and chaos of a hostel, I passed out cold on the couch and got a great night's sleep.

DSC03061

I was up bright and early this morning at 6:30am, so maybe my body is a little off still from my travels. It is Monday after all, where to me it should be Sunday. It's strange seeing the NFL reports on msn.com; that's not a normal beginning-of-the-week occurrence. So I'm having my morning tea and soon I will go upstairs to attempt to pack my bag. Amanda and I are headed out on a New Zealand road trip today! It's only been two days and already I'm getting to use my camping gear. Our destination is Nelson, the northern tip of the south island. Apparently there are beaches there, although unless it warms up, there will be no swimming. Abel Tasman National Park is right next door, so we'll see what we can find. We plan on being gone for the majority of the week if the weather holds up. I'm looking forward to getting reacquainted with my camping buddy and seeing what this remote, little island has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment