Monday, March 1, 2010

Goodbye Auckland...Hello Bangkok!!!

A month ago, I was ready to leave this place. I was in the car with Daniel and couldn't think about anything more than getting out of New Zealand and getting to the excitement of Asia. The natural beauty of this country is incredible, but it's missing the cultural depth that I had in other areas of the world. I thought it was too much like home, and I'm traveling to get away from all of that. Now,about to head to the Auckland airport, I realize how much I'm going to miss this country that I've enjoyed so much for the past two months.

New Zealand grew on me, it really did. The people here are so nice. They have the same affinity towards bare feet as I do. And they say cute things like "sweet as" that I've grown to love. The landscapes in this country are sickeningly beautiful. The best part of it is that I have experienced real life here...well, as real as it can get without a job and the stresses of it all.

In the last few days, I've basically been waiting for this flight today. Brad and I made our way up to Christchurch. We had a rockin' night out with friends on Friday. I said my goodbyes and see you soons on Saturday morning and made my way up to Auckland. I am so happy to have caught up with my friend Kitty again, as she graciously offered me a place to stay. I got to meet all of her friends and attend a barbeque on Sunday afternoon. Brad got up here and we went out to see the genious of the band Pavement on their opening night of their first tour in ten years. It's been a great ending to it all, but somehow that always makes it harder to leave.

So today I head to Bangkok! My flight is in a couple hours. I'll make the short hop over to Sydney to enjoy the airport for three hours and then it's non-stop to Thailand. It's going to be a long day of travel followed by the crazy culture shock I'm sure to experience at midnight tonight. No matter how hard it is to leave one country, it's always exciting to get to a new one. I've got a friend to meet up with tomorrow afternoon in the city and then I'll likely start making my way down to the beach. By this time next week, I hope to be sitting on a tiny island in the middle of the Gulf of Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment