Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Family Reunion

Who would’ve known when I left this place in April, crying my eyes out at the friends I thought I’d never see again, that we would all end up back here at the same time, just five months later, ready to start it all over. I got back to Koh Tao on Thursday morning, and the Sunshine Divers family reunion has begun. All of the ‘old timers’ are here, with some very much missed exceptions, and we’re all back in the water, starting the fun that the next month will most likely be. I had my sappy goodbyes and many tears with Adam and Sam early last week and am now celebrating new beginnings with the many that have returned while I’ve been away.

But first, the rest of my trip to Bali…incredible!!! We survived the cockfighting chickens and taunts of Balinese police. We took to the sea and managed some beautiful snorkeling and a fantastic shipwreck. More motorbike action was played out and some good food was had. It was a holiday to remember, and I wouldn’t have wanted it with anyone other than my British lads.
After a day of nothing but snorkeling and sunbathing in the blue lagoon in Padangbai, I took a trip up to Tulamben to see the US Liberty shipwreck just off the coast of the island. I did this trip alone, as the boys decided that motorbiking was a better option for them. Just an hour and a half bus ride up the coast brought me to my first ever shore dive to this coral encrusted boat under the sea. It was an interesting feat, donning my scuba gear and powering through the waves and the rocky sea bottom, but fantastic to know that diving can be as easy as getting in the water and just wading out. We dropped down to thirty meters quickly and came up on the gigantic shipwreck that was dragged to this location years ago. The corals were beautiful and the fishes were plentiful. It’s crazy that there, in Indonesia, I can see everything that I get excited about in Koh Tao on just a single dive, whereas in Thailand, I might get to view these things every tenth. Clown triggerfish, Barry the barracuda that was bigger than me, boxfish of all shapes and sizes, these things all exist here every day….and I’m jealous of the divemasters that get to experience this. I did two dives at the wreck, in perfect visibility, and I was sad that they’d be my last in Indonesia, unless I decide to return someday.

I was fortunate that Sam and Adam decided that they’d be heading that way as well, just with their own transportation, so I was able to ride the coastal highway with them after the dives. We made our way back slowly, dodging chickens and dogs for the many hours it took us to get home on the shoddy bikes that they had rented. They’d already had one run in with the police before I joined the caravan, so we were on the lookout for more scams along the way. Apparently in Bali, you need an “international driving license,” a bullshit excuse to extort money out of tourists. They’d already fined the boys $10 each and I’m sure it would’ve been more if we’d stopped when we heard them yelling as we whizzed by on our way home. In Amlapura, there were at least two that shouted out at us as soon as we passed, not because we were doing anything wrong, but only due to our foreign faces. It’s just another harassment that we all could’ve done without on our journeys through the island.
The scenery was gorgeous though with the small bays and inlets along the way. We made it back to town, without any accidents, by early evening to enjoy our last night with all of us together. We feasted on a scrumptious Nasi Campur and had a few drinks at one of the local bars before calling it an early night. We all had some travelling to do the next day.

On Sunday morning, the three of us woke early, had breakfast, and said our goodbyes. Adam headed to Lombok and will then go to New Zealand, and Sam and I needed to get back towards the airport. I was sorry to see Adam go, but his future destinations include Central and South America, easy enough for me to get to when I return to the states. I have no doubt that I’ll see him again sooner than I think. So Sam and I, without our travel planner, made our way to the small town on Jimbaran to get in some more beach time and the best seafood I’ve ever encountered.

There was nothing in the town, absolutely nothing, other than seafood restaurants and some high end resorts. We found a small guesthouse across from the beach and parked ourselves just there for our last two days. It was so refreshing to be able to relax by the sea without being asked to buy sarongs or massages every five seconds. The locals actually came out here to enjoy the sunsets. The men sat in circles and talked about their days while the kids flew kites and played soccer on the beach. The mothers ran around with the little ones, and the few tourists strolled through the sand taking in the breathtaking views. It was so relaxing, almost too relaxing, and very hard to leave.

No matter how hard I tried to resist, I still had to go to the airport and come back to the sweaty grunge that is Bangkok. Sam and I flew up in the afternoon and made our way directly to Khao San Road, the backpacker mecca of the city. We were both knackered after long days of travel and despondent on our last evening as the final goodbye happened early the next morning. It was another sad one, but I’ve been planning on going to England on my way home anyway. I now have yet another friend I’ll be reunited with in another place soon enough.

With the end of my Bali trip came a fresh start on Koh Tao. Camilla flew in Wednesday morning and I was having drinks with her by midday. I bought my ticket back to the island and made the arduous journey down on my own in the evening. I seriously hate doing that trip more than anything at the moment and don’t look forward to ever seeing that bus or boat again. The bus leaves Bangkok around 8:30 at night and drops us at the pier in Chumpohn at 2:30am, where a gaggle of people sit and wait for the next four and a bit hours for the boat, that might leave on time at 7am. Why they do it this way is beyond me. Really people, we do not need to wait that long. Is a bus out of the city at 11pm that difficult to arrange? I made it though, and promoted Sunshine divers the whole way. I managed to reel in a few new students and give myself a course to assist upon returning.

The first morning was productive, no matter how tired I was. I moved into my new apartment, joining the crew on the Orachon balcony, where I now sit in my hammock typing this blog. Samita is back from England and it’s so good to see her. Morgan was here when I arrived, although just to pick up his bike and leave the other night. Manuel arrived today and moved in just down the way, so I’m sure we’re in for a treat when he gets up from a nap later. Our little reunion is going to be a good one.

So I’m back in the routine again. I just finished the open water course with the new students. I got to do my first paid job yesterday afternoon in the pool. The money isn’t much, but it was great to finally take on a student on my own. I’ve started muay thai, thai boxing, that will keep me sore, but hopefully get me in shape. I’ve signed up for twelve sessions, and I’m going to try to keep it up every other day until my visa runs out at the end of this month. I know I’ve said over and over in the past year that it’s all ending, but this time I think I mean it. My visa will expire on the 29th and I need to start making plans for a new life. I’ve been looking at plane tickets home and am talking of working on my resume. My one year anniversary of travel is this week, and that’s a long time to be on the road. No matter how much I’ll miss it, I think I’m ready to have a life again and use these experiences to better it. I will still be diving, I will still be traveling, but hopefully will be able to reacquaint myself with a normal life somewhere in the middle. Everything happens for a reason, and it will always work out the way that it’s supposed to. We’ll see where I end up when the new era of my life begins, but for now, I’ll enjoy what I’ve got left right where I am.

*** Pictures to be posted in the next couple of days***

No comments:

Post a Comment