Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A Diamond in the Rough

I keep writing saying that I'm heading south to make my way back to Rome, and each time I do this, I somehow manage to get a little more off course....

I have enjoyed Budapest for the last few days...with it's tree-lined streets, good shopping and efficient trolley cars, I've felt comfortable and at home. I've taken in the Hungarian cuisine, listened to gypsie music and taken walks along the Danube during my time in the city. I can't say that I'm incredibly impressed, as I'm just not so sure why tourists flock to Budapest each year. It's beautiful, don't get me wrong, but other than the palace, bridges and a few statues here and there...I don't really get it. Even so, I did have fun.

I wandered everywhere throughout Budapest. I saw said palace and got some great pictures. I did a little souvenir shopping. I found the Hungarian Walgreens which made me incredibly happy. And damn...I ate some good food. Falafel, I missed you. I took a bus to the biggest tourist trap I've seen yet, Momento Park. This park now houses all of the statues and plaques that were once all over Budapest representing the communist regime and revolution that occured back in 1956. After a stomach-turning bus ride, I ended up in the middle of nowhere reading a manual as to what each historical relic means....it was interesting at first, but after about five...my friend and I just started taking random photos of us sitting on, imitating and making fun of the poses each of these monuments hold. It's a good group of photos...can't wait to post them up.

Anyway, as you can see, I'm struggling with what to say about Budapest. It was nice, but a little too familiar to call it extraordinary. So as of yesterday, I was trying to figure out where to head next. Croatia and Slovenia are on my list before I head back to Italy, but I was hoping to squeeze in one more location before I head back down. From the movie Euro Trip, Bratislava was taking over my thoughts, thinking it was the last real Eastern European frontier. I pictured Soviet block housing and sketchy areas full of graffiti...as well as only a 3 hour train ride (after 11 hours just a few days ago, the thought of long distances scares me)...and it excited me. I asked a few people in the hostel last night about it and I had three say it was no good...but I now think they are idiots...this place is a diamond in the rough.

I took the train from Budapest to Bratislava today and walked out in complete awe of my surroundings. This town is quite impressive. I was hoping for a little more Eastern Europe vibe, but what I've gotten makes up for this fault. It's a small town, with a castle up on a hill in the distance. I had dinner in old town, which is a bunch of cobblestone streets with pubs and restaurants galore. The city is lit up and people seem to be lively...and it lacks the constant tourist attention that you get everywhere else. I don't see postcard stands every 50 meters, I don't feel as though everyone I encounter will be speaking English. This place is fantastic...definitely one of my favorites so far on this trip.

I just got back from dinner, and stopped for a beer at a local pub on my way back....beer in Slovakia is good as well. As I didn't get in until late today, I'm looking forward to exploring further in the morning. I'm thinking of renting a car at this point, and heading up into the surrounding mountains for tomorrow night. My fellow traveler from Italy is still with me at this point, so as long as the price is right, I'm thinking that will be the way to go. I hear the hiking around here is amazing and I'd like to check it out if possible. It's fall in Eastern Europe and the colors are starting to change. I've pulled out my long sleeved shirt and tomorrow I will need shoes and socks. I've been missing the seasons for so long...I'm glad to finally see them as I travel through Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment