Friday, October 23, 2009

The Next Chapter

The flights back to San Francisco were flawless and I used my newly found patience to navigate through the city to get to my friend's house where I have stayed for the last few days. It has been wonderful seeing everyone and being back in my little SF comfort bubble. Although I've only been here for three days, it feels like ages ago that I was in Europe.

I can't say that I've ever really experienced jet lag before, but that can only be the cause of the strange way I still feel today. Apparently I am not immune to the nine hour time change like I thought I would be. Most people say that they sleep for days after a trek like this, but of course, I was the opposite and have barely slept since I've been home. I've been up before five each morning with the wheels in my head turning with all of the things I needed to do. However, being all the Carey I could be, I powered through and did the dinners and drinks like a good girl should. You can sleep when you're dead. I needed to get my fill of San Fran before I leave it for another couple of months.

One of the things I accomplished was buying the South America Lonely Planet guide...just two days before I get to Peru...good job me! I didn't want to plan ahead and I have definitely been successful on that front. I really don't know what I'm going to do after Machu Picchu next week and I'm so excited for that!!! I'm a little nervous, but I was the same when I went to Turkey. I'm sure it will be fine. My friend is already down there and it sounds like Lima is incredible. Life will be good in another 48 hours or so.

I'm off to the airport in a little bit here. Thank you so much to everyone in San Francisco for showing me a good time and letting my bags explode in every corner or your houses! I had so many laughs and so much fun and can't wait to see all of you again soon. As for everyone else, I'm sorry if I neglected to call or talk to you as much as I should have. Being without at cell phone was officially annoying, but kind of freeing at the same time. I have a ten hour layover in Texas and will try to make contact if I have time and don't fall asleep at my dad's house.

As for now, my backpack is lighter; my travel hammock and mosquito net are secure. I'm ready for the next chapter to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment