Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Happy at 11,000 feet

I have powered through the jet lag, almost rid myself of a terrible head cold and am now sitting at 11,000 feet apparently immune to the dreaded altitude sickness. Life is getting better with each passing moment.

I arrived in Lima late on Saturday night after a short, but much needed visit with my dad in Texas. It seemed that everyone in the hostel was waiting on me as Shauna had a crew ready to take me out on the town. No matter how tired I felt, I just couldn´t let these good people down and went out in the Barranca neighborhood in Lima for the night. I can´t say it was much different than a typical American or European club other than the fact that I paid less than $10 and for all you can drink beers until 2am. Pretty good steal for a Saturday night I would say. I didn´t go too crazy as I was completely exhausted from two days of travel, but all in all, had a pretty fantastic time.

I awoke the next morning to the culture shock of South America. There are constant warnings to watch your bags and be careful where you go...which I wish people would just stop with. I am sure it can be dangerous, but no need to frighten us poor travelers out of our minds. It took me a bit to leave the comforts of the hostel, but as I walked out, I found a parade and families and seemingly happy people everywhere, despite the heavy fog that clouded the city on Sunday. It is definitely different, and there is a need to be cautious, but really, South America is just another place on the map with beautiful people and incredible things to see.

Shauna and I only spent one day in Lima, which I was fine with. I´m sick of cities and the hustle and bustle, I like being out in the villages and seeing the outdoors, the main reasons that I am here right now. We took an ass early flight to Cusco (5:40am!!!) and I had somehow managed to fly us business class without knowing. I think this is the first flight I haven´t wanted to get off. With big comfy seats and free breakfast that coach did not get to enjoy, I could get used to that. Shauna and I were like kids at Christmas, taking pictures and stretching out properly...absolutely the newbies in the cabin. An experience I´d like to have again very soon.

We arrived in Cusco yesterday and passed out in our snug bunks until 1pm...hoping that altitude sickness wouldn´t get to us while we slept. Both of us are apparently immune...just the slow threat of a headache that can be treated easily with my hardcore prescription IBprofun. I just constantly feel like I have a bit of a hangover...nothing I can´t handle.

A devastating event occured yesterday that I didn´t realize until the afternoon. My trusty headlamp is gone. I cannot find it anywhere. It must have fallen out of my purse when getting out of the cab in Lima and I almost cried when I found out. Shauna saw my distress and we immediately set out for an outdoor store where I purchased a cheaper model...not as good, and I miss mine incredibly, but it´ll do for now. It´s something that I have used everyday in my travels and I can´t live without it...a new one for Christmas maybe? :)

After wandering around Cusco, we arrived back at the hostel to find the girl I stayed with in Italy had smartly checked into our room. It is so great to see her again and she has the same plan as me to head down to Lake Titicaca from Cusco, so I´ll have a travel buddy for a couple more days at least. Her, Shauna and I did some grocery shopping last night and cooked an amazing risotto. We enjoyed a beer from Cusco and I think I passed out around eight. Hence, I´m up at 7am posting this blog.

So far, I am loving South America. It seems to be geared for more outdoorsy activities which I´m going to completely take advantage of. We´ve had our debriefing for Machu Picchu and we hit the trail tomorrow at 6:30am. It is just Shauna and I on the tour, and we´ve gotten some great tips from people who have done it. I can´t wait to get out there and see what the top of the world really looks like.

No comments:

Post a Comment